You are no doubt already aware that images sell. There is so much more than high quality photos to convert a customer. Yet, bad photos will almost turn off your customers.
There is no need to invest in a dedicated mirrorless or DSLR and lens kit to capture basic product photos. You likely already have a more than capable camera in your existing smartphone
1. Extra product photography gear
There are many accessories, which can supplement the smartphone during the shooting. These include a background, a table, lighting, a stabilisation and lenses.
To create a clean look and focus attention on your product, use a white background. It does not need to be a special product photography background. A DIY option is a roll of paper, foam plastic, or an ordinary wall. Try to place the background not only behind the object but under it as well. This will avoid any seams in the shot.
It is advisable to use a table to set your product a little higher so that it is more comfortable for you to shoot.
You need lots of light. Natural lighting is always best. If you use a large window light, use a mirror to bounce the most amount of light available back onto the product.
If you are using lamps or a light box, ensure that the globe is a white light. If you buy photography lights, you will likely
Your smartphone likely has built-in stabilisation. Your product photos may still become blurred if handheld.
Using the tripod is the best decision for taking sharp smartphone product photos. Options range from the Sirui 23cm table top tripod to the taller 138cm tripod.
Your smartphone has a fixed wide angle lens having some lens distortion. This can result in a false representation of your product. The telephoto lens on the dual lens smartphones provides zoom and less distortion.
The Struman Optics cinematic 4K lens offers a wider perspective and macro lens in the one lens. This allows you to get in close to capture incredible detail and the whole product.
Check out the full range of lens options here
2. Selecting the Best Apps
The native camera in your smartphone does a great job. You can also download a camera replacement app to extend the manual settings. Stick to only reliable apps, which have many positive reviews. Here are some of them:
Camera replacement apps
Android - Adobe Lightroom
iPhone - ProCamera or ProCam
Photo editing apps
Snapseed or PicsArt
Photo storing and organising apps
Dropbox and OneDrive
3. Make the Preparations
- Clean and prepare the product.
Adjust your product photography lighting setup. Position a white board or mirror to reflect the light on the dark areas of the product.
- Set up background and the table.
- Place your smartphone on the tripod and set it at the right height and distance from the product.
- Consider extra details. Make sure your product looks perfect. There must not be any dirt or other defects. Use props, colourful or reflecting backgrounds, etc.
4. Product Photography Shooting
- Grid: activate the grid, as it is very helpful to align the photo.
- Quality: make sure you choose the highest quality.
- Lens: clean the lens and ensure correct alignment of any attachment
- Zoom: use it to set the frame around the subject. Leave space around the product to have an opportunity to crop the photo if required.
- White Balance: some camera replacement apps allow you to set the WB. Tap on the white background to remove colour cast
- Focus: tap the screen on the subject to select the focus point.
- Lock: some smartphones allow you to long press the screen or tap on an icon to lock the focus and exposure.
5. Product Photo Editing
After the photo capture, all the photos need a little enhancement. Pay attention to straightening and cropping, sharpening, contrast, vibrance, and shadows. Your photos will look outstanding.
If photo editing is not for you, Fixthephoto ( http://fixthephoto.com/product-retouching-services ) is an online product retouching service. Upload your photos to ensure the best photo retouching and outstanding results.
Amazon standards for product images
If you will post your product images on Amazon, apply Clipping Path and place your objects on the pure white background according to Amazon guidelines.
Below are some of the standards for posting product images on Amazon:
- The image must not contain gratuitous or confusing additional objects.
- The image must be in focus, professionally lit and photographed or scanned, with realistic colour
- All other products should fill 85% or more of the image frame.
- Backgrounds must be pure white (RGB 255,255,255).
- The image must not contain additional text, graphics, or insert images.
For additional other view images:
- Other products or objects are allowed to help demonstrate the use or scale of product.
- Cropped or close-up images are allowed.
- Backgrounds and environments are allowed.
The full list of standards can be found - here
These articles are a great resource to learn a mobile photography specific technique or tip. Your fastest transition to becoming the confident and creative smartphone photographer you want and deserve to be is a strategically designed course.
An impactful and engaging WOW image consists of a strong subject, composition and lighting. The real power and fun transforming the image is then photo editing. Recreate that story, feeling and intention lost in the photo capture by strategically applying visual literacy and mobile apps to enhance your results and passion for photography.
Love taking photos on your smartphone and want to create images you thought only possible on an SLR? The Get Started page will help you navigate to the:
- Free mobile photography course and regularly tutorials
- Instagram page and Facebook community - full of tips and weekly photo themes